1) It is dubbed the “world’s richest marathon” because the prize money is so generous.
2) The winners, Lemi Berhanu Hayle (2 hours, 5 minutes and 28 seconds) and Aselfech Mergia Medessa (2 hours, 20 minutes and 2 seconds), who are both from Ethiopia, won 200,000 US dollars (around £133,000) for winning the race.
3) Winner Aselfech Mergia Medessa has won the Dubai marathon on three occasions (2011, 2012 and 2015). She has a daughter and wanted to prove to herself and others that she could still win a competition after becoming a mother. She will use the prize money to finish building a hotel in Ethiopia.
4) The backdrop for the start and finish of the marathon is the world’s most luxurious seven-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab, which cost 2 billion US dollars to construct. It was commissioned by Dubai’s ruler Sheikh Mohammed to serve as a global icon, which would put Dubai on the international map.
5) King Abdullah died of a lung infection (on Friday) on the day of the marathon at the age of 90. Dubai has been paying its respects to him by calming its nightlife down for three days.